About meI am a freelance composer, animateur, educator, conductor and writer. My work aims to encourage creative participation in music making: to enjoy it as an enlivening group activity for all-comers, and one in which participants can discover their own creative musical identity. I’m always interested in taking part in unusual, creative projects, collaborating with creative people from all artforms and in a variety of contexts. Browse the website to see the sorts of things I do, or go straight to the other work and media page for a selection of audio and video extracts! And get in touch: it would be lovely to hear from you!
- READ a blog here about my NCO project There’s no place like….. NCO. Written by Arlene MacFarlane.
- WATCH a brief video of Take Flight – the Royal Ballet commission for community dancers in Hull.
- WATCH a 22-minute documentary made by ABC about my project in Sydney with The Academy of St Martin in the Fields. Watch it here
- WATCH Roger Ballen’s Theatre of Apparitions – my music for this was shortlisted for a 2017 Music and Sound Award. NOT FOR CHILDREN (or possibly the faint-hearted!)
Winner of 2016 Education or Community Award
Finalist in 2017 Music & Sound Awards
- New website pages with new pieces and videos I’ve been working on recently
- A new Tuba concerto for the wonderful Tubist, Mike Poyser
- Working with the LPO on their OrchLab project for disabled adults, running workshops and other events, and creating materials for the OrchLab website. You can watch a recent video about the project here.
- Working with the wonderful St Frideswide school for Oxford Lieder Schools Project. Creating a school song written mainly by KS1.
- Leading Open Sound Ensemble for the LPO.
- Hospice workshops with City of London Sinfonia.
- Helping year 1 students at Central School of Speech and Drama with a year 1 puppet show for young children.
- Being consulted by Music in the Round on Early Years and Secondary projects.
- Beware of Trains (for which I wrote the score with Oliver Cripps) has been doing well: Finalist for a Music and Sound award, BAFTA longlist, winner of the Maria Lassnig Golden Film Reel award in Vienna, and more. Check out the latest here.
- An Oxford Lieder performance in the Sheldonian Theatre – St Frideswide KS2 classes performing with amazing energy a suite of songs they composed. Watch the performance here.
- ORCHLab workshops with our two new centres in Harrow and Stevenage.
- Musicians’ training and mentoring for Live Music Now!
- Workshops with Create. Meeting the new Nurturing Talent group, who I look forward to working with, as well as leading Change Matters and Speak With My Voice projects.
- Song-writing with KS1 pupils with the Little Missenden Festival.